The OSAA Baseball and Softball State Championships start on Wednesday. 960 the Sports Legend previews the match-ups involving Basin-area teams:
South Umpqua at Henley – 4:30 p.m.
- This is a rematch of last year’s play-in round, where the Hornets won 7-2 on the road to eliminate the then-Far West League champions. This year, Henley gets the home game, coming in as the Skyline Conference champ. This year, South Umpqua finished third in the its league.
Klamath Union at North Marion – 4:30 p.m. (960 the Sports Legend)
- The Klamath Union Pelicans defeated Tri-Valley Conference member Madras 2-1 in the play-in round and now face the Tri-Valley champion North Marion, which has won nine in a row against 4A teams. KU is 2-3 in its last five games.
Lakeview at Pleasant Hill – 4 p.m.
- Despite losing three straight to close the regular season, Lakeview qualified for state with a 6-6 league mark, getting the state bid over St. Mary’s by winning the season series between the two. Pleasant Hill has not lost in the last 11 games.
Union-Cove at Bonanza – 2:30 p.m.
- Conference runner-up Bonanza looks to improve on losing out in last year’s state first round, hosting Union-Cove. The visiting Bobcats will try to do likewise after losing to eventual state champ Kennedy 9-4 in last year’s opening round.
Sweet Home at Henley – 4:30 p.m.
- Henley won the Skyline Conference championship this season and hopes to move past the state semifinals, where the Hornets lost last year to Cascade. Cascade was also the victor over Sweet Home in last season’s playoffs, beating the Huskies in the firs round. Sweet Home visits Henley having lost just once in the last seven games.
Regis at Bonanza – 1 p.m.
- After missing the state playoffs last year, Bonanza is a host team this year. The Antlers finished a perfect 10-0 in conference, but have lost four straight entering the postseason. Regis was exited in last year’s state first round.