Klamath Falls girl burned in fire possibly started by sanitizer

Doernbecher

 

PORTLAND, Ore. — An 11-year-old Klamath Falls girl was burned after a fire started in her hospital room, possibly started by static electricity igniting hand sanitizer.

The incident happened at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital and the state fire marshal is investigating. 

Ireland Lane suffered third-degree burns to 18 percent of her body in the Feb. 2 fire. It was smothered out by her father, Stephen Lane, who was napping in the room at the time. He says the alcohol-based sanitizer was the only thing that could have caught fire.

Ireland Lane had used the sanitizer to wipe down her bedside table and a spark may have come from static electricity in the sheets of her bed.





Multimedia