MEDFORD, Ore. — Hypothermia is the suspected cause of death for an 86-year-old Medford man found naked in his front yard.
Harry Henderson’s home had power, but the thermostat was turned off and space heaters had been unplugged according to Jackson County Sheriff’s spokesperson Andrea Carlson.
Inside, bottle containing liquid had frozen, as overnight lows in the area were 21 degrees.
As hypothermia develops, victims may experience confusion and begin removing clothing. Carlson says deputies and a deputy medical examiner think that’s what happened in this case.
Someone driving by Henderson’s home called authorities after spotting Henderson nude in his front yard and seeing the door to the home open on Tuesday morning.
Carlson says the man had not been dead long when he was found.
Henderson lived alone.